Friday, August 12, 2011

Photo-Finish Friday: nook tricks


If you ever get tired of the screensavers that come with your nook (cityscape, nature, authors) you can load it with a bunch of your own. A frequent reviewer of books on my blog, I have a truckload of jpgs of book covers. So now my nook cycles through them, a different one popping up each time it switches over to screensaver.

It was maybe ten minutes’ work gathering together the pic files into a folder. Crossloading them onto the nook was pretty simple. Now as I use the nook, the screensavers are always reminding me of books I’ve already read and enjoyed.

How it's done:
1. Fill a folder with whatever pics you’d like to use for your screensaver. Book covers (also pulp magazine covers) are the same dimensions as the nook screen, so they’re a near perfect fit.

2. Give the folder any name you like.

3. Use the nook power cord to connect the nook to your computer’s USB port.

4. Double-click the nook icon that appears on the desktop.

5. A window will open with several folders. One of them should be called “my screensavers.”

6. Drag and drop your folder of pics into the “my screensavers” folder.

7. Close the window and eject your nook.

8. Disconnect your nook and go to its main menu.

9. Go to “Settings” and open that.

10. In the new menu that comes up, select “Display.”

11. In the next menu, select “Screensaver.”

12. In the next menu, find the folder you just crossloaded, select it, and a check mark should appear beside it.

Your new screensavers should start up the next time your nook goes to sleep. 

BTW. When you had your nook open on your computer screen, you may have seen a folder for “my wallpaper.” You can do the same for that. For a while I had a Remington drawing of a bronc buster that I loaded. Now I have a portrait of a cowboy by Will James (shown in the pic above). You can also drag and drop PDF files into the “my documents” folder for reading on the nook. 

If you already know all this, just say so, and you’ll get a hat-tip from me for being so darn smart. Photo-finish Friday is the bright idea of Leah Utas over at The Goat’s Lunchpail. 

Coming up: Old West glossary no. 17


6 comments:

  1. I wonder if that works on the Kindle?? Great idea, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunch of old pulp magazine covers for my screensaver. Fancy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip. I don't own a Nook, but it's good to know.
    Love the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice innovation, Ron, and I enjoy your daily cowboy wisdom on Facebook, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, Ron. I may see if this works with Kindle. Twain was the best but I'm tired of looking at his mug every day. Sorry, Mark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat is that? Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete